In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Photoshop to create high key black and white. The process is very simple and you can apply to any photos.
Please follow the steps below:
1. Open your image
2. Go to Image>Adjustments>Desaturate
3. Your photo will look like this.
4. Select Image>Adjustments>Curves
5. Adjust curve to increase brightness and press OK.
6. Your image look brighter.
7. Go to Layer Pallet and press Crtl + J for Window or Cmd + J for Mac to duplicate a layer
8. This is the duplicated layer.
9. Select Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur
10. Adjust radius of Gaussian blur to 40 pixels. Then pressure OK.
11. Change a layer mode to Overlay
12. Your image looks brighter with more contrast.
13. Add layer mask from the layer pallet
14. Select brush from the tool pallet and select black as foreground
15. Mask the dark area by painting black.
16. At the layer pallet, you should see mask like this.
17. This is the final result from this tutorial.